Thomas Bookhamer, I am the founder of Bookhamer, LLC a provider of Agile Strategy. I am a ADKAR change agent and facilitator experienced and qualified to work with the organization as a whole to ensure that cultural challenges inherent in Agile, SAFe, XP, Lean, Scrum / Kanban process execution are correctly addressed.
I am an experienced Facilitator and Trainer qualified to ensure the cultural and process challenges inherent in “being” Agile through, SAFe, Lean Practices, Change Management (ADKAR), Scrum Framework, and Kanban Systems are correctly addressed.
SAFe Agilist (SA)
CSM – Certified Scrum Master
CSP – Certified Scrum Professional / Practitioner
Enterprise Agile Coach
Training Facilitator, Virtual Training
Kanban Systems / Scrum Framework
Are you doing Agile? (wrong question)
- The term “Agile” refers to the Agile Manifesto
- Agile is NOT a methodology
- Try NOT to think of Agile as something you “do” it is more something you can “be”
So, How Agile are you? (right question)
- To deliver frequently is to “be” Agile
- “Usable deliverables are the primary measure of progress.”
- Agile should be thought of as a characteristic or adjective.
- Scrum, Kanban, and XP are Agile because they support the Agile Manifesto
- If you are doing Scrum correctly you are being Agile
What Does an Agile Coach look like?
- Someone who has faced the big dragons, organizational impediments, and has become a coach to managers and other outsiders in the course of addressing them.
- Someone who has brought ideas from professional facilitation, coaching, conflict management, mediation, theatre, and more – to help the team become a high performance team – the way you always imagined a high performance team could be.
What are some Traits of an Agile Coach?
Facilitation – Coaching – Teaching – Mentoring – Agile-Lean Practice Expertise – Knows multiple Lean methodologies. e.g.: Scrum, XP, Kanban, FDD, Crystal, etc. – Technical Mastery – Business Mastery – Transformational Mastery – Leadership – Coaching Stance – Self-Awareness – Blogs about Agile – Tweets about Agile – Has produced multiple presentations on Agile topics and presented them to multiple audiences – Has coached multiple teams – Has coached at multiple organizations – Has coached in multiple industries – Has read many Agile books.
What are some accomplishments of an Agile Coach?
Introduced Agile (or Scrum, XP, Lean, or Kanban) to organizations – Started up X teams using Scrum (or XP, Lean, Kanban or just plain Agile) – Provided CSM training – Provided a story writing workshop – Provided an Agile 101 Class – Provided Product Owner training – Introduced Agile practices – Facilitated backlog grooming (or standup meetings, or iteration planning, or iteration review, or retrospective) – Acted as Scrum Master (or product owner) for X iterations (or sprints) – Taught TDD/ATDD – Has the following words sprinkled throughout: facilitated, mentored, coached, taught, fostered, improved, trained Improved the performance of teams or advanced the careers of those they managed – Directly influenced teams working in or transitioning to an Agile environment