What is Agile?
- - The term “Agile” refers to the Agile Manifesto
– Agile is NOT a methodology
– Try NOT to think of Agile as something you “do” it is more something you can “be”
- – To deliver frequently is to “be” Agile
– “Usable deliverables are the primary measure of progress.”
- Agile should be thought of as a characteristic or adjective.
– Scrum, Kanban, and XP are Agile because they support the Agile Manifesto
– If you are doing Scrum correctly you are being Agile
What Does an Agile Coach look like?
- – Someone who has faced the big dragons, organizational impediments, and has become a coach to managers and other outsiders in the course of addressing them.
- Someone who has brought ideas from professional facilitation, coaching, conflict management, mediation, theatre, and more – to help the team become a high performance team – the way you always imagined a high performance team could be.
What are some Traits of an Agile Coach?
Facilitation – Coaching – Teaching – Mentoring – Agile-Lean Practice Expertise – Knows multiple Lean methodologies. e.g.: Scrum, XP, Kanban, FDD, Crystal, etc. – Technical Mastery – Business Mastery – Transformational Mastery – Leadership – Coaching Stance – Self-Awareness – Blogs about Agile – Tweets about Agile – Has produced multiple presentations on Agile topics and presented them to multiple audiences – Has coached multiple teams – Has coached at multiple organizations – Has coached in multiple industries – Has read many Agile books.
What are some accomplishments of an Agile Coach?
Introduced Agile (or Scrum, XP, Lean, or Kanban) to organizations – Started up X teams using Scrum (or XP, Lean, Kanban or just plain Agile) – Provided CSM training – Provided a story writing workshop – Provided an Agile 101 Class – Provided Product Owner training – Introduced Agile practices – Facilitated backlog grooming (or standup meetings, or iteration planning, or iteration review, or retrospective) – Acted as Scrum Master (or product owner) for X iterations (or sprints) – Taught TDD/ATDD – Has the following words sprinkled throughout: facilitated, mentored, coached, taught, fostered, improved, trained Improved the performance of teams or advanced the careers of those they managed – Directly influenced teams working in or transitioning to an Agile environment
Cruise Ship Seminars – Training on a Cruise Ship!
- 4 day Cruise
In every Seminar Thomas combines all of the “Effective Coaching + Serious Games = Winning Solutions” products and techniques into a four day seminar to deliver unprecedented insights and techniques. Seminars are designed to provide participants with all of the tools and knowledge they need to implement the Five Keys to a Healthy Corporate Culture and Serious Games in their companies, or with their clients.
- 4 day Training
In each Seminar, whether it’s on a ship or in a hotel, Thomas Bookhamer delivers four days of powerful, immediately usable techniques. You will also receive as a take-away, a copy of his new book as a tool to assist you in your new implementation toward a healthy corporate culture.